Friday 20 March 2015

Bella Italia, San Miguel de Allende





Food that tastefully matches its name

by Nancy Snipper



Paolo Bizzotto Geremia and his wife, Maria have owned this restaurant since 1990. His daughter, Paola and son Geronimo are also on in the act. In fact, Geronimo joins master chef Anselmo Secci in creating authentic Italian cuisine.


The Italian menu – just like the ambiance – is a delight and easy to read – not overloaded. Pasta dishes are varied: from vegetarian – dig the pumpkin and white wine in it – to one that has smoked salmon with cream, vodka and tomato sauce. All  can be prefaced with mouthwatering entrees of grilled mushrooms, eggplant with Parmesan cheese, melon with Prosciutto; four salads and of course – those main dishes of Angus beef, grilled shrimp, squid, fish and veal with white wine – these are Bella Italia’s standouts. But Paolo insisted I order the risotto – voted one of the best in town and beyond.



As I munched my Capiccio salad – similar to a Waldorf one with pecans, apples, Manchego cheese, celery and olives, I noted the light appealing taste of the balsamic and apple vinegar dressing. I also had a white wine Spritzer with Apenol. Lovely and elegant, just like the lemonade that was completely light in flavor.
The risotto did not disappoint. I have never tasted such tender shrimp, and the Italian rice with saffron and parsley seasoning was marvelous.
The tiramisu was light too.
I feasted inside this central hotspot with its choice location right at the Jardin. From Bella Italia’s outside street-level terrace or inside the place, you can take in all the outdoor Mexican festivities. However, the delicious dishes remind you that Italy can be just as captivating.




My return visit March 2016
I went back again this year, and had a wonderful veal flank that was tenderer than I knew veal could be. More than seven thin slices were served. A simple lemon sauce with parsley gave it just the flavour perk it needed. I also had some spaghetti tinged with garlic. The veal also has a choice of Marsala or in a white wine sauce. Chef Enselmo, who hails from Sicily, has been 26 years with Bella Italia, and he truly is the restaurant's treasure.
For dessert, I ordered the apple strudel brimming with nice big raisins and nuts. A scoop of  Italian vanilla ice cream sent me home as happy as a bella could be.
Warning: the margaritas are huge, and potent!

Bella Italia is located at Portal Guadalupe No. 12, Centro.
Call: (415) 154-6758 

Updated Mar 13 2016 /  Mise à jour le 13 mars 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment